Friday, January 12, 2007

Anniversary.

The first anniversary of my blog is approaching and I wanted to do a little Cheshbon Hanefesh. For me it has been very exciting as it forced me to put down in words many of the thoughts that were flying around in my head. Writing about things for public consumption forces you to clarify and organize all these diffuse ideas into coherent statements. Ideas that were just fleeting concepts had to be fleshed out. To me writing this blog was real disciplined Talmud Torah.

I have kept track of the traffic on the site and have so far recorded about 20,000 unique visits. I do not know into how many different people that translates to but many have read what I wrote. I wish there were more comments but the ones I did get were very thoughtful and consequently helpful. I did not always agree but it did make me think about alternative ways of looking at things.

I am planning to continue writing about Rambam’s way of thinking or at least the way I read him. Eventually I would like to contrast the other thinkers such as R. Yehudah Halevi, Rav Sa’adyah Gaon, Ramban and Rav Hasdai Crescas with Rambam’s approach.

I have received approbations from many who I respect and who felt many of the things I write about had to be told. I am always conscious that in matters of Hashkafah there is always the danger of coming to erroneous conclusions. I therefore reiterate that these are just my thoughts and they reflect the truth as I see it not necessarily as it really is.

Shabbat Shalom.

4 comments:

  1. חזק ואמץ!

    Keep up the good work! I enjoy your thoughtful posts.

    Your mystical minded friend,

    chardal

    ReplyDelete
  2. The honesty and openness of your approach, coupled with your humility, is what makes your writing so appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wanted to let you know that I subscribed to Hakira and very much enjoyed the first volume I received.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rabbi Maroof and Chardal, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete