Friday, April 11, 2008

Moshe Halbertal on Maimonides and Nachmanides and the Messianic Era.

Evanston Jew directed me to this excellent lecture by Professor Moshe Halbertal on the Messianic era. http://www.hartman.org.il/Digital_Le_View.asp?Digital_Le_Id=23

It is an extremely worthwhile presentation and I highly recommend it. In general I find Moshe Halbertal's work very edifying and anyone who wants to get a clear picture of the two trends in Medieval Jewish thought, Kabbala and Rationalism, must read his work.

A side comment. Generally scholars come across as detached and I find this disconcerting when dealing with the works and thought of Rambam and Ramban. How can one understand them without trying to embrace their passion? It also has no connection with reality and life and is an exercise in futility. Moshe Halbertal is passionate and seems very much involved in the emotions and passion of the great Medieval Thinkers.

Shabbat Shalom.

2 comments:

  1. I came across a few pasukim in Yirmayahu that I think are easiest understood on the Ramban's view. (Jer. 31:31-34)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great lecture! And thx for the link, because on the SHI-site you can no longer find this lecture, I only found two other video's.
    Do you have any other links like these?

    ReplyDelete